Friday, October 29, 2010

Words,Text, && FONT!

In this class, I am really starting to notice how text and font actually does change an image and the message. There are many meanings we can interpret from a font alone. The way something is written or even how BIG something is written can display a certain mood or feeling from an artist. When I personally look at a word I think of how I feel about it, versus if I see it in a special font or enlarged, I feel as if I am almost forced to understand where the artist is coming from. Fonts can attract attention and keep audiences interested. For example, in the movie about Helvetica they explained how it was used in a political point of view. Even in an everyday example such as a text message from a friend can be looked at. If I have a friend that sends a text that says “Hi Shayla” I would just take it as them saying hi. If I was to receive a text that read “HI SHAYLA!!!” in all caps, I would think they are yelling, or even excited to talk to me. The text fonts just make everything seem more interesting, because we all know, words are the ultimate distraction.

1 comment:

  1. Shayla -- the question was when are words the ultimate abstraction and when are they not? I'd like you to really think about this. Go back to what we've learned about the semiotic triangle and about how written language developed. Use your blog as a chance to dig a little deeper.

    ReplyDelete