Tuesday, October 12, 2010

LIFE


When I saw this picture I knew I had to write about it! I love this. I love the contrast used. The all black everything allows us to really appreciate the light, which is emphasized by the smoke from the man’s cigar. The balance is above the horizon because to me, there is much more going on above the central axis. All, the talking (if any) going on is above, and also the gestures, and the eye contact between the two individuals in the picture. Because the viewers see everything heads on, this picture Is in the first perspective. All the textures in this picture look “smooth” except for the smoke. In my mind I ran with the smoke idea. Maybe it symbolizes a heated discussion. The smoke represents intensity in the two’s conversation. By the woman’s body language, I see her taking advice while the man goes on and tells her how he feels or even recommends a different approach. I would say this picture gives off natural lighting because of the lights on the bottom of the stage shows the shadows of the people. All in all, this picture may give a numerous amount of feelings, or concepts, it depends on the persons looking at it.

1 comment:

  1. Shayla -- great shot, and some excellent observations. Your conclusion seems to veer off a bit -- stick with how the artistic conventions might affect our "reading" of the image. Also -- work on a more formal style to your academic writing. Your posts should be just as formal as any other academic assignment. You used our concepts from class very well.

    ReplyDelete